Monday 4 November 2013

You could live a long time . . .


In reflecting on her life expectancy, Lyndsay Green says, “I know that the average life expectancy is rising dramatically and I fit the longevity profile. I’m already 60 years old; I have no major health issues; and I come from long-living stock. So, barring a killer disease or an accident, I am likely to become old, - maybe even very old.”

She entitled her 2010 book You Could Live a Long Time: Are You Ready?  She interviews forty elders, combining their accumulated wisdom with her own research, in order to “identify the practical decisions and techniques that would let me make use of their advice right away. I was feeling the wind of age on my back and wanted to get moving.”

Green examines her own anxieties about aging and explores her own misconceptions about growing old. “What the elders taught me turned my thinking on its head. Their most important lessons are almost all paradoxical: they run counter to our society’s obsession with staying forever young, and to my own assumption that I must fight aging at all costs. Instead, aging well depends on acceptance, sometimes even an embrace, of the aging process.”

One of Green’s misconceptions was that “My old self would be just like my young self, only greyer and saggier.” However, as she rethinks this idea, based on the company of elders and their families, she comes to realize that she will need to cultivate new strengths and new find new strategies. “I realized that I had better start now to develop what I was going to need.”

My workshop, entitled Retire to the Life You Design© will help you get started on planning the rest of your life in three key ways:
  • Identifying your core needs for personal fulfillment

  • Using the Six Circles of Life for achieving balance in your mind, body, and spirit.

  • Exploring numerous and diverse leisure and volunteer activities that match your interests and skills

  • Finding ways to create meaning and leave a legacy


This workshop will help you to connect you connect who you are with possibilities for your future. Through our process and tools, you begin to create a plan to retire to the life that you design yourself, a retirement unique to you.

My next workshop will be held

Saturday, November 9, 2013

9 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

New Location:

Pemmican Lodge


102 5 Ave S, Lethbridge AB 

Cost $97.00 includes:


55-page workbook and

Retirement Dimensions


 For more information or to register, contact:

Barbara Cavers @ 403.553.2973

No comments:

Post a Comment